
This morning started out hard. My two, wonderful, perfect kids have been testing me to new levels for the past week, but today, it reached that crazy point. The amazing thing about it is I think I figured it out and in the meantime I see the rewards of talking to my son about the Holy Ghost.
We enter Porter's room this morning to get him dressed for the day and I realize another day has passed that I still have not picked up his room. It had been left a disaster for a few too many days. I find myself cleaning up his "pig sty" and Evelyn and Porter are whining about everything...EVERTHING, even stupid stuff like "my socks are not on straight" or "Eah Eah Eah"(Evelyns only words right now). I was trying to ignore them, but the battle was lost...on my part. They really got to me. How much can you take? Since I was still looking like Maddusa with morning breath, I told them to deal with it. "Porter, you clean this room or you don't go to school today and I am not helping you." (Lucky he loves school) and "Evelyn, here are your babies, play". Trust me, I didn't shock them into actually doing what I said at first, but I said it one more time and they knew I was serious. I did get myself ready in peace and just as I was finishing up, Porter runs into my bathroom with the biggest smile and says "Mommy, come look at my room!". We enter his room, fully picked up, and he says "The Spirit helped me Mommy. My heart is not hard anymore and my room is cleaned.". Shocked at what he just said, I hugged him and said "thank you". From that moment on, for the rest of the day, he was so fun and happy. He seemed to be changed a little.
The next part of the story comes in with my sister Anna. Her family came over tonight to watch the debates and Rebel game and eat her yummy dinner. She tells me of one of the many books she is reading. It is about how to love your children by letting them help themselves. It helps them build self estem and gratification through personal experiences.
I am going to read the book ofcourse, but I am so excited tonight. I love learning more about myself through my children. We all have so many flaws and great gifts and kids seem to magnify these attributes of ours. Through our children, we can become our best and that is why having children is so important for everyone.
So my question to you all, is what chores can a 3 1/2 year old boy actully do?
We enter Porter's room this morning to get him dressed for the day and I realize another day has passed that I still have not picked up his room. It had been left a disaster for a few too many days. I find myself cleaning up his "pig sty" and Evelyn and Porter are whining about everything...EVERTHING, even stupid stuff like "my socks are not on straight" or "Eah Eah Eah"(Evelyns only words right now). I was trying to ignore them, but the battle was lost...on my part. They really got to me. How much can you take? Since I was still looking like Maddusa with morning breath, I told them to deal with it. "Porter, you clean this room or you don't go to school today and I am not helping you." (Lucky he loves school) and "Evelyn, here are your babies, play". Trust me, I didn't shock them into actually doing what I said at first, but I said it one more time and they knew I was serious. I did get myself ready in peace and just as I was finishing up, Porter runs into my bathroom with the biggest smile and says "Mommy, come look at my room!". We enter his room, fully picked up, and he says "The Spirit helped me Mommy. My heart is not hard anymore and my room is cleaned.". Shocked at what he just said, I hugged him and said "thank you". From that moment on, for the rest of the day, he was so fun and happy. He seemed to be changed a little.
The next part of the story comes in with my sister Anna. Her family came over tonight to watch the debates and Rebel game and eat her yummy dinner. She tells me of one of the many books she is reading. It is about how to love your children by letting them help themselves. It helps them build self estem and gratification through personal experiences.
I am going to read the book ofcourse, but I am so excited tonight. I love learning more about myself through my children. We all have so many flaws and great gifts and kids seem to magnify these attributes of ours. Through our children, we can become our best and that is why having children is so important for everyone.
So my question to you all, is what chores can a 3 1/2 year old boy actully do?



6 comments:
Jenny-
That blog entry was cracking me up! Well Nya is 4 but I have her help me match socks and hang up clothes and she actually enjoys making her bed every morning. I am amazed at how much my kids ectually enjoy working, I think it does gove them a sense of accomplishment. From-Kira
That is such a sweet story! Porter is so cute and I'm sure he was so sincere.
I want to know what book you're reading. I just started Mothering with Spiritual Power and it's so good.
We got a little chore chart from Deseret Book for Avry. It has things like brush teeth, pick up toys, brush hair. We give her $2 at the end of the week if she does everything. She loves it and tries really hard.
Okay, I was lol! That was so cute! I especially love that he says "my heart isn't hard anymore,"! What a good boy you are raising! Those moments are what makes it all worth it!
Jenny,
I remember when Joe used to make comments in Gospel Doctrine and I was always impressed with his insight and knowledge. It looks like this quality was passed down to Porter! That is a story that I'm sure you'll never forget.
That is one super-sweet boy you have! Make sure to scrapbook/journal that somehow! You won't want to forget it...isn't it nice that they actually want to help us if we just give them the opportunity?! It also shows what a great job you are doing parenting that your little boy understands the situation that way and knows what the Spirit feels like...your a good mommy!
No kidding! I agree with what everyone else has said..what a special little kid! I really want to know what the name of the book was as well!
I'm sad I missed you on Sunday as well, but I suspect we will run into each other soon! We have a knack for knowing the same people! :)
Post a Comment